'Til the butter melts

Pursuing the cruising dream in 32' of sailing ketch

Storms and other acts of nature



We’ve been rather making tracks the last couple days, and will likely continue to for a bit – at least through Friday.  The reason is two-fold:

First, because I’m keen to put some southing behind us while the winds are favorable for it. We sailed down here to Plymouth MA today from Cohasset, and it was an honest sail the whole way, not even needing the motor to get the anchor up to start, and averaging just over 5 knots the whole 26 miles – it was awesome!

But besides just wanting to show some progress in the right direction, there’s this storm…

Tropical Depression 9 (and likely soon to be upgraded to Tropical Storm 9) is forecast to work it’s way across the Carolinas in the next couple days, and is likely – they say – to impact the area between Cape Cod and Cape May, NJ in a significant way Saturday through Sunday. 

How significant, nobody knows, but we need to be someplace reasonably protected by then, and the area of the coast north of Cape Cod offers darn little shelter from anything significant, weather-wise. We need to be elsewhere by the weekend.

So, Cohasset MA last night, Plymouth Bay tonight, and likely Onset MA tomorrow, on the south end of the canal.  Once there, we’ll sit down with the forecasts and the charts and decide where we’ll hole up for the blow.

If it blows.  Remember this is all based on long range computer models, and right now none of the models agree with each other.  Really, I should have been a forecaster. In what other field can you be right less than half the time, and be considered exceptional? Certainly not aviation (my first career) or carpentry (my current)!

Meanwhile we wait.  We had a lovely supper of stir-fried potatoes, broccoli and tempeh, and there’s a fresh – if rather heavy – breeze to keep the bugs away.  The anchor is set, the wine is poured, and tomorrow’s weather isn’t here yet. 

That’s what cruising is about.

Life is good.


Author: s/v sionna

Living the dream in 32'. We left Maine on August 18th, 2016, and have gradually worked our way south until we felt warm enough. After spending the summer in Maine, working to replenish the cruising kitty, we’re back on the boat, with plans to visit the Bahamas later in the winter. Follow our blog here, and follow our progress in map form by joining www.Farkwar.com!

4 thoughts on “Storms and other acts of nature

  1. One of my sisters lives in New Port Richey, FL. She said the rain, thunder & lightening started about 2 hours ago.


    • Lisbeth, we visited a Facebook acquaintance and now real friend in New Port Richer this winter! Gee, what’s your sister’s name? Might be the same person! 😉


  2. I know you will be safe and cautious. Keep in touch!

    Liked by 1 person

  3. You’re making progress to get to safety – we are staying put! There are no “good” anchorages in the Potomac so we’re in D.C. on a rather expensive mooring until the storm passes. Oh well, better safe than sorry!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s