'Til the butter melts

Pursuing the cruising dream in 32' of sailing ketch

Waiting it out

4 Comments

As bad as it gets? 20 knot winds, 30 knot gusts.

 “You folks staying onboard?”

This question – from the New Bedford Harbormaster as he motored through the mooring field yesterday – pretty much typifies our experience in this fishing city thus far: At least on the waterfront, folks look out for each other.

When we answered in the affirmative, he responded “Well we’ll keep an eye on you, if you need anything.”  Of course we don’t expect to need anything, but if we did, it’s nice to know that he knows we’re out here.

When we first decided to shelter here (four days ago), the forecasts were saying to expect torrential rain and sustained winds of 30-40 knots with gusts to 60 knots. That’s significant wind.  Keeping in mind that the power (energy) in moving air is multiplied by four with a doubling of wind speed, 60 knot winds are nothing to be trifled with, and we prepared accordingly. I added a second line of 3/4″ nylon (breaking strength about 20,000 pounds) to our mooring, did the same for the dinghy painter (smaller line), wrapped the sail covers with spare line, and took everything easily removable off the deck to stow below: BBQ grill, life ring, staysail in its bag, etc. Makes the boat look a bit naked, actually.

Sail covers wrapped 


Second pennant

 

But with winds only gusting into the 30’s, that was probably overkill – and that’s ok.  Where weather is concerned, we’d rather over-prepare than get caught short.

It’s interesting to see what sort of preparations other boats around us have seen, too. Many look like us – tied down, but not in full hurricane wind mode. A few look like the owners simply have no idea of the power of wind, and in that they’ve been lucky – it hasn’t blown hard. Others – perhaps those who’s owners live farther away, and who can’t come back to check on them – are stripped down to the extent possible, with all sails and canvas removed and stowed below, wind generators removed, Booms double tied to immobilize them, decks swept clear. 

Today (Monday) we’re thinking we might head over to New Bedford proper – the downtown – and look around a bit. We love wandering the streets and looking at the architecture, and of course if a cafe were to present itself – particularly if it had good coffee and wifi – we wouldn’t be averse to lingering a bit. 

Meanwhile, Nicki’s making biscuits, which also takes the little morning chill off the cabin. Live if good!  Oh, and the cookbook? Great resource for cruisers. Thanks Jan and Carolyn, http://www.theboatgalley.com

Hot biscuits!

Advertisements

Author: s/v sionna

Living the dream in 32'. We left Maine on August 18th, 2016, and have gradually worked our way south until we felt warm enough. We've paused in Boot Key Harbor, and are now exploring the Keys until we leave the boat and return to Maine for a summer of employment. Follow our blog here, and follow our progress in map form by joining www.Farkwar.com!

4 thoughts on “Waiting it out

  1. Was there supposed to be a post here?

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Better to be over prepared than underprepared 🙂

    Like

  3. I’ve heard that the storm-proof features of that harbor, combined with previous manufacturing processes upstream, has contributed to making it one of the most polluted. :^(

    Don’t drink the water…

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s